Virtual Production Manchester
Virtual Production Studios
“Do you think you’ll move to virtual production?” is the question we get asked most here at Galleon Studios. Actually. That’s not true. “Why is green the best colour for fx?” is the question we get asked the most (so much so we wrote blog about it). The second most asked question is “Do you think you’ll move to virtual production?”. Actually, that’s not true either; “Where does the name Galleon come from?” is the next most asked question. Ok. Among the top 5 questions we’re asked is “Do you think you’ll move to virtual production?”. The answer is a resounding “Yes!”.
In a way, we’ve been crafting virtual productions for years. Galleon Studios has always offered our clients the chance to preview their green screen live as it’s filmed. Originally using Datavideo DVK-100, then an Ultimatte DV, then the Blackmagic Atem Production Studio 4k, then the Tricaster, and now the most sophisticated powerful PC we could design. This remarkable machine (with an equally remarkable price tag!) leverages Unreal Engine to live track camera movements in real time over whatever background, real or CGI, you can imagine.
What is Virtual Production
Virtual production is a filmmaking technique that uses real-time computer graphics to create an environment that actors and presenters can interact with on set. This can be done using a variety of methods, including green screens, LED walls, and volumetric capture.
In green screen virtual production, the talent is filmed in front of a green screen, and the background is then replaced with a new often computer-generated image (CGI). This can be done in post-production, but it is becoming increasingly common to do it in real-time. This allows the director and cinematographer to see the environment as the actors are performing, which can help them to make better decisions about shots.
Alternatively LED wall virtual production is a different technique. Instead of a green screen, the actors are filmed in front of a large LED wall that displays the background. Meanwhile, Volumetric capture is the most advanced form of virtual production. Actors are filmed in a large volume that is surrounded by cameras and sensors. The data from these cameras and sensors is then used to create a 3D model of the actor. This model can then be placed into any CGI environment, giving the actors the freedom to interact with the environment in real-time.
In other terms, Virtual Production or VP is a powerful tool that can be used to create realistic and immersive content be it commercials, films, TV, corporate, music video, and live events.
Here are some of the benefits of using virtual production with green screens:
- It can save time and money. With virtual production, you can create realistic environments without having to travel to remote locations or build expensive sets.
- It gives you more creative control. With virtual production, you can change the environment on the fly, which gives you more flexibility when it comes to filming.
- It can improve the quality of your footage. Virtual production can help to eliminate unwanted reflections and shadows, which can improve the overall quality of your footage.
- By combining the CG backgrounds with the real-world actors on the day it can eliminate the costly post-part of the production process.
If you’re considering using virtual production with green screens, then we are in a prime position to help:
- Galleon has a powerful computer system to render the CGI environment in real-time.
- We have an unrivaled green screen setup built on 14 years of being an exclusively green screen studio in Manchester.
- Galleon is a team of experienced professionals who can help you with every step of your video production.
- At Galleon Studios we can create a final real-time keyed version of your footage and deliver a clean green screen version. This way you future-proof your production by having a version where, unlike using LED walls, further editing is possible.
If you’re willing to invest the time and money, virtual production with green screens can be a great way to improve the quality of your video content.
How We Do It
Green screen virtual production at Galleon Studios is achieved by a combination of technologies all synched together to act as one.
Unreal Engine Software
Unreal Engine is a real-time 3D creation tool for film, television, and games. It is used by filmmakers to create virtual sets, pre-visualize scenes, and add real-time visual effects.
Virtual production is a filmmaking technique that uses real-time technology to create virtual environments that actors can interact with. Unreal Engine is well-suited for virtual production because it can render high-quality graphics in real time. This means content creators can see the virtual environment as it will appear in the final project, and they can make adjustments accordingly. Unreal Engine can also be used to add real-time visual effects to the virtual environment, such as lighting, shadows, and weather effects.
Here are some of the benefits of using Unreal Engine for virtual production:
- Real-time rendering: Unreal Engine can render high-quality graphics in real-time, which means that actors can see the virtual environment as it will appear in the final video. This allows them to make adjustments to their performances accordingly.
- Real-time visual effects: Unreal Engine can be used to add real-time visual effects to the virtual environment, such as lighting, shadows, and weather effects. This can help to create more realistic and immersive films.
- Flexibility: Unreal Engine is a very flexible platform, which means that it can be used to create a wide variety of virtual environments. This makes it a good choice for filmmakers who want to have a lot of creative control over their films.
- Pre-created scenes are readily available to purchase for import into Unreal Engine
Overall, Unreal Engine is a powerful tool that can be used to create high-quality virtual productions. It is becoming increasingly popular among filmmakers as a way to create more realistic and immersive productions.
Vive Mars Camera Tracking System
VIVE Mars is a virtual production solution that simplifies the process of creating realistic and immersive virtual worlds. It is a cost-effective and easy-to-use system that can be used by both indie creators and the major studios.
VIVE Mars uses a combination of VIVE Trackers, SteamVR Base Stations, and other devices to track the position and orientation of cameras, props, and lights in real-time. This information is then used to create a virtual world that matches the real-world environment. VIVE Mars offers a number of advantages over traditional virtual production methods. It is easier to set up, and faster to use. It also provides more flexibility and control over the virtual world. VIVE Mars is being used by a growing number of filmmakers, content creators, game developers, and other creative professionals. It is a powerful tool that can help them create more realistic and immersive virtual worlds.
Here are some of the key features of VIVE Mars:
- Accurate camera tracking: VIVE Mars uses a combination of VIVE Trackers and SteamVR Base Stations to track the position and orientation of cameras in real time. This information is then used to create a virtual world that matches the real-world environment.
- Easy to use: VIVE Mars is a plug-and-play system that can be set up in minutes. There is no need for any special software or training.
- Flexible: VIVE Mars offers a high degree of flexibility and control over the virtual world. You can create any type of virtual world.
Cameras; We use the Sony-FX9 with XDCA-FX9
The Sony PXW-FX9 is a full-frame 6K sensor camera that is well-suited for virtual production. It has a number of features that make it ideal for this type of production, including:
- A high-resolution sensor that can capture stunning visuals
- Fast Hybrid AF that ensures smooth and accurate focus tracking
- Dual Base ISO that provides excellent image quality in both low-light and bright conditions
- S-Cinetone™ color science that produces natural-looking images with rich colors
- A variety of connectivity options that make it easy to integrate with other virtual production equipment
The FX9 can be used with a variety of virtual production setups, including:
- LED walls: The FX9’s high-resolution sensor can capture the detail of LED walls, creating realistic and immersive virtual environments.
- Green screens: The FX9 can also be used with green screens to create virtual backgrounds.
- Mixed reality: The FX9 can be used with mixed reality headsets to create immersive experiences that blend the real world with the virtual world.
The FX9 is a powerful and versatile camera that is well-suited for virtual production. It offers a wide range of features that make it ideal for this type of production, and it can be used with a variety of virtual production setups.
How You Can Use Virtual Production In Your Next Project
We use real-time 3D graphics and virtual studio software to enable you to use high-end, immersive virtual environments for a variety of applications, including corporate video, training videos, e-learning, broadcast production, film, music video, pre-visualization, and virtual events. Advanced chroma keying and real-time camera tracking open a fantastic opportunity to use green screens and actually leave with a finished product. This means skipping the often costly postproduction step of replacing the green screen backgrounds. Furthermore, this means that you can create virtual environments that look and feel realistic, even when they are interacting with real-world objects.
Our real-time camera tracking means that you can move your virtual camera around in real-time and see the changes reflected in the virtual environment. This makes it easy to create dynamic and engaging virtual productions.
Cost-effectiveness: Using our green screen solution for your Virtual Production is a relatively affordable platform, especially when compared with LED and Volumetric, which makes it a good choice for projects of any budget.
Since 2009 Galleon Studios committed to specialising in only one field; green screen video production as such moving into the exciting world of Virtual Production has been a no-brainer. With 3 studios to choose from, years of experience, a dedicated crew, and cutting-edge tech your virtual production, be it your first, or your latest, can be in no more capable hands.